Close

Arkpak 730 not charging

1 2 Next
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #909
Hi guys,

Great product for the week that I have had it. Until now, where I am having troubles charging the damn thing on the AC. DC also seems to be causing me some grief.

Specs as follows:

- ArkPak 730
- Connected mostly to the DC port on the back of my Ford Ranger.
- An Engel Fridge has been connected to the ArkPak while I have been driving.
- 100aH Lead Acid battery

I have on a few nights, charged my arkpak up, and kept the fridge running off the Arkpak. (Simultaneous negative and positive charging)

All seemed to be going fine until the last 24 hours, where I noticed there was absolutely no charge left on the battery.

So I took it out and put it in my hotel room here, and connected the AC adapter, which is where I have been getting a very faint beeping noise.

I've tried a couple of things:

- The fuse is fine
- Added more water to the battery just in case.

So far, all i have is 10%, no extra charge, and 0V on the display.

I will try connecting this back onto the car tomorrow morning and trying the DC/DC connection to see if the drive to melbourne will be better.

Help me guys - I'm going around Australia for the next 5 more weeks. I can;'t exactly return this back to the BCF store in perth which I acquired it from. I'm in Melbourne for a few days during xmas period though.

Thanks

Posted: 3 years ago Quote #910
Hi Macgyver101

Thank you for your email, i am sorry to hear all is not well with the Ark Pak AP730, it seems one of two things may have happened with your Ark pak AP730.

1st thing you need to do is put it on a 240 volt home charge when you do this pick up the transformer and put it to your ear if you hear the transformer beeping then the Ark pak needs to come back to Ark HQ as it has been exposed to one of 2 things. T

hey are low voltage output from your cig socket in the car or been exposed to a closed circuit charge this usually occurs when you are charging and discharging at the same time with a fridge connected to the Ark Pak and the fridge may be in a slide or locked down.

today 23/12/2015 is our last trading day we are closed from 12pm and re open Monday the 04/01/2016, you have to arrange the unit to come back after the 04/01/2016.

if you need to put charge back into your Ark Pak while travelling the only way you can now do this is via jumper leads, you would start your car up, pop the bonnet and then connect the jumper leads to your battery under the bonnet with the car running you would then connect the other end to your Ark Pak external terminals located on the left hand side you would also need to ensure your red isolator is in the ON position while you charge the Ark Pak like this, as a general rule i would charge the Ark Pak like this for 30 to 45 mins at a time no more then this.

Regards

Brett from Ark  

http://www.arkcorp.com.au/
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #913
Hi Brett - just a heads up, I've returned the AP730 unit to BCF in Coburg/Melbourne and they swapped it out for me immediately (great service on BCF's part).

The unit is charing, battery is fine, so definitely was a problem with the unit.

I need to know a few things from this - so this doesnt happen again:

- Can I ever power the fridge simultaneously to the Arkpak while the ArkPak is being charged to my 12V in my Vehicle?
i.e Car (12V) ->AP730 (12V) -> Fridge

(This was one of the major reasons why I bought this unit instead of getting a dual battery setup)

- Are there any issues with movement and vibration? How sturdy is this unit?

Let me know what I need to consider while I keep this running on the road.

Thanks
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #917
Hi Brett,

After the Christmas period I am experiencing exactly the same issues with my Arkpak.
I was running an Engel fridge when connecting to the DC charger to charge and now the AC charger at home gives a faint beep.

Is there any possible way I can reset the PCB inside the unit?
I am an Auto-Electrician by trade so I would be able to understand your instructions.

This seems like a common and easy mistake to make, it would be inconvenient to send the unit away or back to purchaser as I purchased online.

Cheers,
Ampho
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #922
Hi Macgyver101

sorry for the late reply today is my first day back from leave and as you know we were shut during the Christmas New Year break so have a lot of things to catch up on.

in relation to your question yes you can use the Ark Pak like this no problem but as i said in a previous post if you have it locked down on a fridge slide or mounted down and have metal touching metal you expose the unit to a closed circuit charge this is no good and wil damage the unit.

the best way to ensure you have an open circuit charge is get a set of the interlocking rubber camping mats you can then cut one of them to size and place the fridge on top this should stop the closed circuit charge  for you.

if you have any more questions please ask.

Regards

Brett from Ark
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #923
Hi Ampho

sorry for the delay in coming back to you we have been closed during the Christmas New Year period and i have only just returned back to work.

if you are getting a faint beep the only way to correct it is come back to Ark HQ for inspection there is no field fix for this.

if you call me on 02 9678 9036 between 9 am and 430pm Monday to Friday  i am happy to pick the unit up from a location that is open during business hours.

take care and talk soon.

Regards

Brett from Ark  
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #927
Hi Brett

I have the same problem.  Battery not charging.  Was stuck on 12% for the last few days of camping over New Year and tapped into powered sites on camp park to get the car fridge through.

Took it to an auto elec yesterday and seemed to take charge and got to 19%.  Got home and started charging (reading 26.5 hours remaining etc) but has now defaulted back to "Discharge Cycle" only and can't seem to get any power back into pack.

Thoughts?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #929
Brett at ArkCorp:
Hi Ampho

sorry for the delay in coming back to you we have been closed during the Christmas New Year period and i have only just returned back to work.

if you are getting a faint beep the only way to correct it is come back to Ark HQ for inspection there is no field fix for this.

if you call me on 02 9678 9036 between 9 am and 430pm Monday to Friday  i am happy to pick the unit up from a location that is open during business hours.

take care and talk soon.

Regards

Brett from Ark  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Brett,

No, thats fine. I figured as much.

Ok but I live in North West Queensland so maybe you picking it up yourself may not be so easy.
Where do I find the details to post the unit to and how much shipping do you expect?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #934
Hi Ampho

you can take it back to the place of purchase and we can pick it up from there, iam assuming you bought it from say a BCF, Rays Outdoors, Autobarn, Autopro or Burson store ?

Regards

Brett from Ark
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #954
Hi Brett,

My Arkpak 730 is not no longer charging via the DC-DC lead which came with the Arkpak. I suspect it is dead. I've been running the dual battery setup with the Arkpak with upgraded wires for about a year now. Help. What can I do now?

Cheers,

Charlie
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #957
Hi Charlie

it would be best to call the office from 9am till 430pm Monday to Friday and ask to speak to me Brett in tech support.

look forward to speaking with you.

Regards

Brett from Ark  
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #958
Hi Charlie

it would be best to call the office from 9am till 430pm Monday to Friday and ask to speak to me Brett in tech support.

look forward to speaking with you.

Regards

Brett from Ark  
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #967
Hi,

I've found out that it's the fuse built into the tip of the plug that's blown. What sort of fuse should i use?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #973
Hi djcharliek

you should get a 10 amp quick/fast blow glass fuse

Regards

Brett from Ark
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #975
I've had my Arkpak 730 for 10 days short of 12 months with no problems until yesterday.
It has a 100ah deep cycle lead acid battery installed.
I usually only run a Waeco 35L fridge on it and it charges in the car.
Yesterday it blew the 20a fuse in my car while I was driving.
The fridge was on and the unit charging as usual.
When I got home I tried the 240v AC charger but it still won't charge.
The charger is not beeping as mentioned previously in the discussion.
The fridge is plastic bodied and is secured to the slide with rubber straps.
The slide is fixed to a MDF (wood) sheet so there is no grounding issue as mentioned in the previous discussion.
I have tried resetting the unit as the instruction book indicates but no luck.
Any recommendations or do I take this back to BCF where it was purchased?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #976
Hi ColGibbs

Thank you for such detailed information it has made it easy to understand your possible problem, we suspect that your female 12 volt socket in your plug has dropped below 12 volts causing the Arkpak to suffer from low voltage input, this is not a warranty issue but we are happy to stand by our product and provide after sales service to you.

we would need the unit sent back to Ark HQ for an inspection, we need to determine the exact cause, you can take it back to the BCF store and advise them your unit needs to come back for rectification work.

it would be very wise to ensure your name your phone number the store name and location of where you have dropped the unit off at is put inside the box, this way we have your contact details if additional questions are required and we also have the store name and location it needs to go back to.

any more questions please ask.

Regards

Brett from Ark
Posted: 2 years ago Quote #977
Hi Brett,

I spoke to you on the phone today. Thought your response seemed well rehearsed. Probably because this is a common fault with your product. I just tested the voltage at the battery and at the socket I was using, with both vehicle running and not running. I'm getting .01 of a volt drop from battery to the outlet socket. 12.59 volts at the socket without the vehicle running. So my question is, what do you consider to be low voltage, anything under 12.6v?

No where in the instruction manual does it warn of catastrophic failure when exsposed to low voltage.

I appreciate your offer to repair the problem free of charge but what's the point of its just going to happen again? The only time I can think it would of been exsposed to low voltage is while the vehicle is actually being started. If it can handle those couple of seconds of low voltage, then it clearly has a problem.

I personally want nothing to do with such a temperamental, fragile and unreliable product. I would appreciate your cooperation in explaining to BCF Gladstone, the issues your product has and hopefully, me getting my money back.

Thanks,
Paul Stanley
Posted: 2 years ago Quote #979
I agree with your comments Paul.
I got the same reply from ArkPak.
They offered to fix the unit even though I was to blame by allowing a voltage drop!
When I asked about how common the problem was they didn't reply.
When I commented that the problem sounded like it would be ongoing they didn't respond.
Consequently, when I get it back I'll be too scared to use the dame thing!
Would certainly appreciate my money back too.
Posted: 2 years ago Quote #980
Definitely Col. Clearly this product is flawed and they are simply ass covering by blaming the consumer. I asked why it doesn't have a fail safe built into it to prevent damage from low voltage. His reply was, it's not possible to do on power coming into the unit. Funny thing is my fridge can do it. At what ever voltage you choose, the fridge will turn itself off and prevent damage to the fridge and running the battery too low.

I personally don't believe it was a low voltage issue in my case. The vehicle had no problems staring and power to the socket I was using switches off with accessories anyway. I measured the voltage at the socket at 13.7v while the engine is running. Five day camping trip ruined due to having no means to charge the battery.
Posted: 2 years ago Quote #981
Hi Paul

Thank you for your feedback and expressing your opinion, as i said to you on the phone based on the information you were giving me and the symptoms you were describing it was a classic low voltage input problem.

i also acknowledged and agreed it could be a completely different problem altogether and until the unit is tested i was making an assumption as to what the exact problem was.

we are happy to stand by our product and pride ourselves on after sales service.

thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.

Regards

Brett from Ark    
1 2 Next